North West walks with the kids
The North West of England is an amazing place for walkers. Journey north and lakeland awaits, with the fells and waterways of Cumbria providing some of the most dramatic scenery in the United Kingdom.
Head towards Derbyshire and magical places like Edale, pictured above, await, only a short train journey away from the major city of Greater Manchester and yet far removed from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Travel to Bolton and you can climb into Rivington and Winter Hill. The region is also well served with suburban parks and open spaces like Clifton Country Park, and beautiful spaces like Crosby beach, home to Antony Gormley’s Another Place.
Then there are the country parks attached to National Trust properties such as Dunham Massey Deer Park in Cheshire.
Whether you are looking for intense exertion alone, or a North West walk with the kids, the region has plenty to offer. You won’t always need your walking boots: some of the better walks in the region don’t require any specialist equipment at all and are suitable for people of all ages. However, if you are looking for something a little bit challenging, then there are plenty of hills across the North West that will help you to work up a sweat.
Ideas for North West walks from Dadsdayoff.co.uk
- Walks: Winter Hill Transmitting Station
- Walks: Peel Tower, Holcombe Hill, Lancashire
- Celebrate National Walking Month with health walk in the park
- Walks: Dovestone Reservoir, Greenfield, nr Oldham
- Blackpool Illuminations light up Salford Quays
- Walks: South Stack Lighthouse, Anglesey
- Circus comes to Dunham Massey for historic summer event
- Days Out: Edale, Derbyshire
- Dunham Massey Deer Park and Hall
- Rivington and Winter Hill walks
We’d love to hear from you if there’s a North West walk with the kids that you’d like us to feature. We also welcome contributions from other families who have enjoyed a stroll somewhere and want to share details of their adventures.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Simon Donohue, Editor of Dadsdayoff.co.uk
Use the form below to tell us about North West walks with the kids we should feature